2 min read
08 Oct

It  had been anticipated to be a ‘nothing on my calendar’ week!  

Sunday, October 1st was Dee’s birthday.  The only thing planned was for her, Tony and I to have a dim sum lunch to celebrate.  It was the first time in many years that Dee and I  were able to be together for her birthday.  What a treat.

October 2 is the birthday of my son, Michael, who was killed by a drunk driver 39 years ago, so of course he was on my mind.  It’s hard to believe he would have been 69 this year, because he will always be 29 in my memory.  After all these years I’ve gotten beyond October 2nd being a sombre day, but it’s always a good idea to find a diversion for my thoughts anyway. 

In the afternoon I took a walk to the Byward Market where I found swarms of people who had decided to do the same.   In the square, crowds of people watched dancers performing to a live band and the many outdoor pubs and restaurants were overflowing with smiling customers.  I enjoyed wandering around people watching and the return of hot summer weather was a bonus.  

A video appointment with my new doctor Monday morning was better than hoped for – all test results are in normal range.  I’m good to go to Mexico in three weeks.  The week was starting out well.

Unexpectedly, a writer for the Globe and Mail called to request an interview with me the next day, Tuesday.  She writes a semi-monthly series, “Tales From A Golden Age".   A month or so ago I had answered a pageful of questions that apparently were interesting enough for her to question me further.  We spent an hour talking about me - what fun is that?  Anyway, it turns out that I am going to be the subject of one of her articles.  She anticipates it should appear in the paper about October 27th.   I’ll let you know more when everything is firmed up. 

Because of the heat this week, I decided to take advantage of it and spend a couple of days at Dee's pool.  She picked me up after the interview.  Her pool was like a warm bath – heavenly.  

I returned to my condo Thursday as I needed to get a haircut for a photo-shoot I now had scheduled for Friday.   This is for a photo to accompany the Globe and Mail article.  The photographer turned out to be a charming woman.  We hit it off immediately, talking and laughing while her camera continued to click.   We were having such a good time, I forgot to ask if I could see any of the photos. 

Ryan FaceTimed us Wednesday from North Bay with fabulous news!  Michelle’s latest ultrasound revealed that the twins are …(drumroll)… BOYS!!  We are all thrilled.  That makes 9 great-grandchildren for me – 4 boys and 5 girls.    

Dee picked me up again Saturday for Thanksgiving Dinner at her house with Tony and a couple that are very good friends of Dee’s.  I’ve known them for almost as long as Dee – thirty years.   Food was delicious and the company was charming – intelligent conversation and laughter, accompanied by good wine and beer.  The evening was a lovely compliment to a Happy Thanksgiving indeed. 

However, we woke Sunday morning to horrendous news.  A surprise attack on Israel by Hamas had taken place, leaving hundreds of Israelites killed and wounded, and many taken prisoner.  

After such a wonderful week, the news was sobering and chilling.  What a contradiction of emotions were felt in the space of a few hours.  Uppermost is an almost overwhelming feeling of gratitude for being Canadians.  My thoughts at this moment are that I am exceptionally blessed, and for that I am exceedingly thankful.

* The email will not be published on the website.